Thursday, October 9, 2008

Using a Mold to Make a Chocolate Santa

Here is a video that in on About.com featuring Jacques Torres making a large, hollow chocolate Santa using chocolate molds.



Transcript: How to Make a Chocolate Santa Claus With a Candy Mold

Hello, I'm Jacques Torres from Jacques Torres Chocolates. Welcome to About.com! Today I am going to show you how to mold a Santa Claus in chocolates and in different chocolate colors.

Make a Chocolate Santa From a Mold
The techniques are applied to any kind of mold. So if you buy a mold for home, you will be able to duplicate that.

Color in the Dark Chocolate Details
So the first thing is to work with a paper cone, and I'm going to put a little bit of dark chocolates in the paper cone. And that's used to make little details. So let me show you how I do that. I cut the tip of the cone and now you can see chocolates coming out of it. So, using that, I can make the eye, the center of the eye, then this part here and the eyebrow and the button, and the cane.

Add the White Chocolate Details
And white chocolate is very interesting, white chocolate is not really chocolate. White chocolate is made with milk powder, sugar, cocoa butter and lecithin - so not much from the cocoa plant there except the cocoa butter.

So I take the white chocolate and I paint all of the surfaces that are going to be white into the mold. And again, you can buy a mold for home and the techniques will be exactly the same. Very simple. So this is how the Santa looks like from the back. Now I am going to start to work on the front. And I am going to paint his mustache and his beard and all those white parts. Just like that.

Fill the Santa Mold With Milk Chocolate
I am going to put milk chocolate to mold. I need to pour the chocolates in here. So you can put as much chocolate or as little as you want. I need more like that.

Spin the Santa Mold
Then you're going to put on the top of the mold. And now as you can see, I spin the mold to ensure that chocolate goes everywhere. And I have cold air coming out of the machine, and what's going to happen here is, the movement is going to make the chocolate go on the side, this way the inside is going to stay hollow. That's why we call that a hollow figure.

Refrigerate the Chocolate Santa
Then you put it in the fridge. So, it takes a few minutes for the chocolates to retract from the mold, so when that happens what we do, we just open the mold and you can see now the center coming out. It's very shiny. And all the detail that we made with the brush shows up.

Thanks for watching. If you want to learn more please go to the Web at About.com. Merci.

No comments: