So then, how much do they cost? Well, Micelli Chocolate Molds in New York has an Artisan Mold Program. Here is what they state on their website:
"Custom Polycarbonate Injection Molds for the Artisan or Chocolatier
• Custom bar/tablet size design with or without your logo
• 3d rendering for your approval
• Prototype mold to test the cavity
• Mold layout drawing for your approval
• Custom injection mold tooling to meet your requirements
• Polycarbonate injection molds in size 275mm x 135mm, 175mm, 205mm or larger if needed
• Complete custom bar/tablet projects starting at about $4,500
All prototypes and final mold orders ship via UPS directly from our New York, U.S.A. factory.
UPS charges estimated at $75 to $200 to most areas in the US and Canada."
As you can see, you need a to have a high volume need to justify the cost of making a custom polycarbonate mold. But, if you do have that need and can afford it, your finished product will be dramatically better.